For my next project, I am moving into the realm of painting.
Using my finished edit of the bubble wrap piece, I wanted to extract the essence of its mood and theme and apply that to a landscape painting. I chose shades of purple as a colour palette because its tone is something that is rarely found in nature’s vast landscapes. This notion thus conveys the sense of abstract otherworldliness that I want to instill in the painting.
I took inspiration from multiple landscape artists, namely Yves Tanguy and Andrea Farmer. The backgrounds within Tanguy’s surrealist paintings were very influential. The misty and subtle changes in colour reflected the effect that I wanted to achieve. Farmer’s paintings take on a much more abstract approach to the landscape and I was very captivated by how even though there were many distinct smudges, all of the colours melded together very nicely.
Here are some of the paintings of both painters that I drew inspiration from:
These are some initial sketches that I had done:
I began with cutting a 2′ circle from a piece of plywood. I didn’t want to work on a traditional canvas because I wanted to, once again, bring unconventionality to the piece and I thought that a rectangular canvas would detract from the conceptuality that I wanted to express.
I was initially worried that the uneven grain in the plywood would prove cumbersome during the painting process but after a couple bouts of sandpaper and a thick layer of gesso, the grooves filled in nicely. I added a slight tint of purple to the gesso so that it could act as a base background.
As I started painting, I ended up blocking in the different layers of the mountain very solidly so it became very clear-cut and flat. This wasn’t my initial intention but after some thought I liked the modernity and cleanness of it.
However, like I said, this wasn’t my initial intention and I came to realize that the piece by itself was quite boring. So I experimented with how I could blend the mountains together to achieve the original effect that I was going for and I think a succeeded pretty well.
After some time, the painting was finally finished with the abstract, hazy, and ethereal effect that I was trying to convey.